I honestly can’t believe I am sitting here writing your
first birthday letter. It feels like just yesterday that your daddy, sister,
and I were excitedly preparing for your arrival. I want to start off by telling
you a story that my mother told me the night before my wedding day. I too am a
second child, and when she was pregnant with me she asked her mother how her
heart could possibly be big enough to love another child as deeply and
devotedly as she had her first. Her mother’s response was that her heart would
continue to grow and expand with each child. My mother continued on to tell me
that her heart did just that, and as her family grew so did her heart. At the time this story was told, I walked
away with the surface message, which was that my mother loved me and my brother
and sister dearly. What I didn't realize
at the time was that I didn't understand the true lesson she was teaching me
that night, until I became pregnant with you.
Like your MomMom, I too questioned how I could equally love and protect not just one child but now two. I received my answer the day
you were born. I learned more about myself in those few hours than I had in my
28 years. I learned that there are no limits on the human heart. That love is
bigger than all of us and the depth in which it goes will never be known or
maybe even understood. That my heart that day didn't expand for you because
you were already a part of it long before you were born. You just made it
become more alive. I knew the minute you were placed upon my chest, that I would
spend my entire life loving, protecting, nurturing, and guiding you through yours.
That your father and I will be there to love you, support you, raise you up
when you have succeeded, and pick you up when you have fallen. That you sister
will be there to be your very best friend, confidant, and partner in crime.
Like me, you may not understand the true lesson that is
presented in this letter. But one day, when you have children of your own, I
hope you will look back upon it and be reminded that a parent's love knows no
end. Thank you for infecting us with your precious smile, for creating a life
time bond with your sister, and for teaching us that every day is full of
beautiful moments.
Happy 1st Birthday, Isla. We love you to the moon
and back!
Love,
Mommy
Newborn
1 month
2 months
3 months
4 months
5 months
6 months
7 months
8 months
9 months
10 months
11 months
12 months!!!!
September 18, 2013
Peek-a-
boo!
"Happy Birthday" song!
*If viewing this post in an email please go to www.mackenzieandisla.blogspot.com to view the video.
Your message brought tears to my eyes. Isla is so lucky to have you and Jimmy for her parents, and you both are blessed to have her and Zie. Love and hugs to Isla on her 1st birthday.
Your message brought tears to my eyes. Isla is so lucky to have you and Jimmy for her parents, and you both are blessed to have her and Zie. Love and hugs to Isla on her 1st birthday.
ReplyDelete