Sunday, March 29, 2015

UKrops 10K!

Jimmy and I did something pretty "monumental", we ran in the Ukrops Monument Avenue 10K race in Richmond, Virginia! This was by far the largest and longest race we have partaken in with over 36,000 (yes, you read that right) runners and walkers on a 6.2 mile course. The race was super fun with cheering crowds and over 20 bands playing along the way. Monument Ave is also a beautiful street filled with blooming cherry blossom trees and gorgeous colonial style homes lining both sides of the street. You also pass by six monuments along the way. I must admit I didn't notice most of the statues because I was too busy reading all the hilarious signs that spectators had made. My favorite one was "Run fast...I just farted!" One of the best parts of the race was running with Jimmy. He is faster than me but he wanted for us to stick together, so he hung with me which I am so thankful for! I always run better when I am with him and this time was no exception as I made my best time yet! Oh and did I mention that is was FREEZING! It was in the low to mid 30's but it was the wind that made it feel so cold! I was pretty much a popsicle before the race but once I got going I actually got hot. The first 1-2 miles my feet were numb which caused for some awkward running but thankfully they thawed out! After the race we met up with some friends, grabbed lunch, and then ended the day at a local brewery. A big thank you to my parents who came up to watch the girls while we raced! I'm not sure who had more fun, the grandparents or the grandkids! Another big shout out to the best cheering section ever: Bellamy, Beckham, Mackenzie, and Isla! Bell and Beck made an adorable sign for us and Mackenzie and Isla got a kick out of cheering with it too! It was such a great experience and we have already decided that we will definitely be partaking in it again next year!

For my records:
Distance: 6.2 miles
Time: 1:01:34 (Official race time recorded by Sportsbackers)
*Mile 1: 11:15
*Mile 2: 10:00
*Mile 3: 9:53
*Mile 4: 9:23
*Mile 5: 9:29
*Mile 6: 9:28
*Last 0.2: 2:07

*Based off of personal GPS watch.

These little ones drove down to Richmond with me on Thursday to pick up our race packets!
The more I go to Richmond, the more I love it! 

Home of the Flying Squirrels Minor League Baseball team!

Our racing bibs

Bell and Beck's adorable sign! 

The middle sign was the kids hand prints that said "High Five". They were definitely our lucky high fives! Thanks, Beck and Bell! 

High fives all around! 

Pre-Race Photo!
The line to check your bag. There is a large chunk of the line that wouldn't fit into the picture. Jimmy is somewhere in that line! 
I got this photo from the race site, but it shows everyone lining up at the start! Longest line EVER!
We FINISHED! Our post-race pic!

Wearing our medals proudly!

Our friend Brittany ran in the race too and our plan was to meet up with her at the end. Who would have thought that with 36,000 racers, that I would line up right next to her at the starting line! Crazy! 

My BFF from high school (and Brittany's fiance)
It's Monumental! 




1 comment:

  1. Congrats to you and Jimmy, what an achievement . Love the signs.

    ReplyDelete