Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Birthday Letter to Mackenzie



Mackenzie Amelia,

Today you turn three years old and we have had the honor of watching you grow from an infant, baby, toddler, and now a preschooler. You continue to light up our world and the world around you with your infectious laugh, silliness, and pure love of life.

I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous about approaching this stage in your life. I have always heard about the “terrible two’s” and thank goodness you were anything but, but I also heard that the “three’s” were a whole new ball game. I was told that you would become demanding, suborn, even ruthless at times. That you just plain wouldn’t listen and that tantrums would happen over silly things like not wanting to wear a certain color pant or that you were not able to wear flip flops in 15 degree weather. I heard that sharing would become a difficult concept and that you would begin to question things like it was going out of style. I heard that the “three’s” were just downright hard.

Well my dear, people were right. The three’s seem to bring their own set of challenges, challenges we have already come to face. But there is a beautiful silver lining. What people didn’t tell me was how awesomely amazing this stage in your life is. I love that you have found your independence and stand up for what you want (but no, you will not be able to wear flip-flops in a snowstorm…ever!) and that you feel confident and comfortable enough to voice your wants, needs, and yes even displeasures. But the thing I love about you the most right now is how incredible you are with your sister. It seems like over night you realized that you were a “big” sister and that a level of responsibility comes with that role.  You have become a nurturer, a protector, a role model, and most importantly a friend. You come running to Isla’s side when she cries to comfort her. You reach for her hand when you know she is unsteady or unsure. You gently rub her face as you talk sweetly to her and you are constantly giving her words of encouragement, complements, and praise. Your soul beams so much love and warmth for the people around you, and your father and I couldn’t be more proud of the little lady you are becoming.

This is an exciting time in your life filled with new adventures! Your world will greatly expand when you start preschool in the fall. A lot of excitement and nervousness comes with this new milestone, but I know you are going to continue to blossom and thrive as more and more door begin to open for you. Walk through them! Don’t be afraid to see what is on the other side. Use that confidence and independence that you show me everyday and embrace all that is being offered to you. Make friends, be a friend, and continue to show the world just how special you are.

We love you, Mackenzie Amelia. Happy Birthday!

Love,

Mommy & Daddy

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday to a sweet sweet little one who is growing so fast. I wish you many more joy filled years.

    ReplyDelete