First let me say how incredible these Marines are. They were stationed all along the 13.1 mile course cheering us on and giving us motivational words when we needed it the most. I made sure that each Marine I passed I gave them a high five and thanked them for their service.
The course was beautiful and I got to see parts of Fredericksburg that I didn't even know existed! The absolute best and I mean BEST part of the race was seeing my awesome cheering section, Jim, Mackenzie, and Isla! They were there at the start of the race, along mile 7, and then again at the finish! I can't tell you how much I needed to see them at mile 7! The girls were waiving little American flags, holding up the signs they made, and yelling "Go Mommy Go!". The hubs was amazing, getting the girls from one place to another, taking pictures, and quickly saying "you're killing it!" as I ran by! He was tracking me on his cell phone so he was aware of my running times, which thankfully were looking pretty good. That was all I needed to hear to get my mind back into gear and ready for the most challenging part of the race, hospital hill.
Oh, hospital hill, you are so cruel! At mile 10 just when you want it to be over, comes an intense mile long hill (it should be called a mountain). I fought the whole way up that hill and won't forget the marine who brought out his best drill Sargent voice to help us keep powering through. Let's just say my legs are still feeling the effects of that hill today!
Mile 12....longest mile everrrrrr. I felt like mile 13 was never going to come, and then finally, in all its glory, it appeared! Just another .1 later and there I was crossing the finish line!!!!
After the race we met up with two other families, the Shaws and Donos, for a celebratory lunch downtown! It was the perfect ending to a great morning!
Garmin Watch Results
Distance: 13.1 miles
Time: 2:12:29
Pace: 9:58/mi
Mile 1: 10:03
Mile 2: 9:21
Mile 3: 9:44
Mile 4: 9:30
Mile 5: 9:27
Mile 6: 9:40
Mile 7: 9:47
Mile 8: 9:37
Mile 9: 9:55
Mile 10: 0:10
Mile 11:11:03
Mile 12: 11:07
Mile 13: 10:24
| Friday: On our way to pick up my racing bib! |
| #4496 and the map of the course! |
| Kenzie checking out the course. Looks easy enough, right?! |
| 13.1 |
| Race day! |
| Family shot while making our way to the start line! |
| My awesome cheering section! How cute are those signs?! |
| Mile 7 when I spotted my cheerleaders! |
| Some high fives and a quick thumbs up and I was off.. |
| They loved waiving their American flags and later on the cow bells they were given! (FYI, the cowbells have since been confiscated). |
| When you see this sign you are both happy and mad at the same time! |
| Running underneath this flag was really special and it came at glorious mile 12! |
| I must have seen the camera guy because this was taken on hospital hill and I am pretty sure my face was a little more stressed than this! |
| Crossing the finish line! |
| Meeting up with the fam after the race! |
| Finishers medal |
| Best cheerleaders EVER! |
| Showing me how she cheered! |
| "Go Mommy Go!" |
What a wonderful achievement. I always knew you were awesome.
ReplyDelete